Sunday, May 30, 2021

Life Review: Memorial Day Remembrances

 I was commissioned as an Ensign in the US Navy on 7 June 1972. We were still at war in Vietnam and the cold war was going strong. I had worked hard and earned as slot in the USN Naval Flight Officer School. Pres. Nixon ended the US bombing north of some arbitrary latitude line and suddenly the need for NFOs was sharply reduced. At that instant the need for newly commissioned officers to spend time on surface warfare vessels was realized to be urgent and my orders for NFO training were delayed indefinitely and I was assigned to the Guided Missile Destroyer, the USS Sellers DDG-11. She would be sailing for COMMidEast Forces in the Persian Gulf. As soon as I got the full word on that I suddenly felt the need to give back to those young incoming Plebes (freshmen) who were to be taught sailing their first summer. This permitted my new bride, Brenda, and I to at least get acquainted as husband and wife before I deployed to the Middle East.

After a blissful summer, we moved temporarily from Annapolis to Charleston, SC. We set sail and Brenda went back to her parents and old job in Canton, GA. There was NO internet, no email, and no zoom, so hand-written snail mail was our only recourse. We wrote each other daily and my intense dislike for being at sea on a ship w 400 sailors did nothing but deepen. Since all officers except the XO and the Captain stood 4-hour watches at sea, we only got a full night's sleep every 4th day.  I like my sleep, so this only added to the miseries I experienced.

But, I came back from deployment after about 7 months, in one piece.

Many of my comrades in arms were not so fortunate. They lost limbs, wives, and some lost parts of their emotional/mental capacity.

All gave some, some gave all.

Many Americans have given their lives in service to their country. Most everyone who has served as given somethings of themselves. Let's pause a moment from our festivities to thank the L^rd that He set the example and the quote, "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend." Jn 15:13.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment