Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Bridge Too Far- Part I

Some of you may have seen the WWII movie, "A bridge too far". Well in our case, it really wasn't a bridge, it was a long, very soft patch of dirt road. Well, not really dirt, but a long patch of sticky, slimy mud road.

Yep, Brenda and I rode out to look at some land to possibly buy. It was a bright sunny Saturday PM, and we were a bit excited. I had NEVER seen the property except on Google Earth. I was in my 4x4 tundar truck. We were surprised at the high quality of the road going in, and were excited with the quality of the property. I wound our way across a large open field, which I had seen. As we left the field on the NE side, the road looked fine, but Brenda remarked, maybe we should stop.  My enthusiasm once again got me in trouble.

We had gone maybe 150 yards down the road before the mud got so slick we could NOT proceed.

No problem, I have a come-along and some chain and rope in the tool box. I got set up and quickly winched us about 3 feet. Still no traction. I kept winching and moving until we had come about 20 feet with no longer any trees to attach the hand winch. No problem, I'll call Daniel, who absolutely LOVES this kind of thing.

Daniel got there quickly, quickly hooked us up to his truck, and started to pull. His wheels started spinning, and, you guessed it, he got stuck too.  Took maybe 10 minutes for this. No problem, we had two come-alongs now. After maybe 45 min of work on his truck, he called a friend with a jeep and a winch who  absolutely LOVES this kind of thing.

And now it's dark.

Read how we made it out next blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment