Monday, March 9, 2020

Still MORE Preaching Fun

Yesterday I gave two more sermons at the Baptist Church where I was subbing for a friend.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yesterday AM, I spoke about the Rich Young "Good" Guy--the rich ruler, based on Lk 18:17-30. Originally I had titled it "The Rich Young Fool", but then recalled that Matt 5:22 instructs us NOT to call anyone a fool, so that had to be redone.

What struck me was the NEW things I picked up having to teach this story. The story is recorded not only by Luke but by Matthew (beginning at 19:16) and by Mark (10:17). The 3 records are very similar, with small additions.  Mark for example points out that the young man makes his request to "inherit eternal life" on his knees. Which brings me to a revelation when he says "Good teacher".

Jesus replies, "Why do you call me good, there is NONE good except G^d alone." I always realized that Jesus never stepped back from his G^dhood, so He is underscoring his divinity. But I had missed the OBVIOUS point that He is saying tactfully, no man is good, none can enter into the Holiness, Righteousness of G^d's presence with the Atonement of Jesus.

The Young "Good" guy missed that, and that is why "Good" is inside quotation marks.

Then Jesus says, "...keep the commandments, and lists 5 of the 10 best known ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment