Monday, December 12, 2016

A Bad Word-- Obedience??

Those who know me, know that I occasionally mention the "curse of the evangelicals".  Because G^d gifted me in prophecy (not telling the future), I am compelled to call out the church in some areas. One area where we evangelicals seem off base is in the area of obedience.

We evangelicals are strongly committed to "sola fide", that is, we are saved by faith alone, not by works.  This is UNDENIABLY TRUE!!  BUT.

Yes, a big BUT, that is important.  BUT being saved my grace alone does NOT obviate our need, indeed our requirement to be OBEDIENT to the G^d who created us and saved us (by GRACE alone, not by works).

Scripture clearly tells us, Obedience is better than Sacrifice!"  (I Sam 15:22).

Yeah, but that is OLD Testament.  Everyone knows that that OT stuff was superseded by the New Testament.

Ok, fair enough, I disagree, but let's go with that for a moment.  One of the verses I have mentioned over and over in this blog is a quote form Jesus, "If you love me, keep my commandments."   (Jn 14:23).

How about, "Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth. ( I Jn 3:18).

How about, "Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me."  (Matt 16:24)

This has been driven home to me recently.  I want to be obedient to G^d, whether I am THRILLED about it.  I want to OBEY!

Easier said than done, but I'm a tryin!!

2 comments:

  1. Usually when I get a word to do something, I don't want to do it - it's out of my comfort zone. You can know it's from God, for Sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually when I get a word to do something, I don't want to do it - it's out of my comfort zone. You can know it's from God, for Sure!

    ReplyDelete