Monday, September 17, 2018

Finally, a trade book!

I know that authors can be pretty obnoxious at times. I have a pastor friend who has written a book and he identifies himself now as author/pastor. He has my sympathies, as I see the attraction.

I have been wanting to publish a trade book--a book for public consumption as opposed to a text or academic book--for many years now. I have a full manuscript of a book on teaching the Bible, and hope to submit it again in a few months. I started this task probably almost 15 years ago. The game has changed just in the last 10 years. The advent of self-publishing and the popularity of the www has made it such that publishers, as a rule, will not even accept book proposals from writers without an agent.

I think the chief reason this proposal got an advance was that the principle author is Walt Larimore, MD, who has already published 32 books!  Publishers trust proven authors--and for good reason. We also have an excellent agent who helped us a great deal.

I have been surprised and thrilled at how easy the writing has come on this first draft. But every experienced author will tell you that it is the RE-writing that makes writing.  I don't necessarily look forward to editing, but we are pretty far ahead of schedule.

Harvest House Publishing is a Christian publisher, which was easily my first choice. I see no point in publishing a book to make this short mortal life better but which neglects the eternal. We clearly share the Gospel in the early chapters and have many Scriptural references.

The tentative title is, “60 Ways to be Fit and Healthy after 50: Keys to a Healthful, Abundant, Forever Life”. Be sure to be on the look out for it and buy a copy for all your friends, even those not yet 50! It also makes good birthday, Christmas, bar mitzvah, anniversary, and wedding presents, and will likely make a dandy doorstop, or platform for a coffee cup!

Now let's get this thing done and on those shelves for sale!!

1 comment: