Thursday, September 27, 2018

Some Basic Rules of Personal Finance

Brenda and I have just finished TWO, not one but TWO, Timeshare presentations.  For our trouble we got 3 nights in a nice resort, plus $120 off tickets to the "Hatfields and McCoys" dinner musical- no really it was surprisingly good!

But, due to the recent hard-sell, I thought it might be of use to state some KEY personal financial rules to live by:

#1 NEVER buy anything quickly. DO NOT buy at the pitch, but only later--if at all.

I told the sales people, I wanted time to think, and they said "NO!" They claimed, "It wouldn't be fair to these folks who are deciding right now!"

"No", I said, it is unfair that ALL of us have to decide on the spur of the moment!"

Mine was NOT a popular response.

#2 Do NOT buy anything over the phone.  Why would you? You didn't need it BEFORE they called, why do you need it now?

"Send me the literature, I'll look it over and get back to you!"

These two simple rules will save you some real $$$$, but only if you follow them...a I will from now on!

4 comments:

  1. And I will from now on!... Says the proud owner of two time shares..ha ha ha:)...Just kidding...I love your financial rules to live by...Thankfully we think a like on this...Write them down before dementia sets in, so you can post them on your bathroom mirror, so when you can't remember what you believe any more, you can reread them every morning...And start fighting with your kids...LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. UK Early Retirement Blog I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minimum income to hire wealth advisor I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

    ReplyDelete