Thursday, November 1, 2018

Thank-a-Prof

One of the best strategies our Faculty Commons Ministry uses to reach Professors is called "thank-a-Prof".  In this campaign, we solicit students to write "thank-you" notes to teachers they have had in previous semesters.  We collect those, make sure they aren't "hate-mail", and then hand-deliver to faculty members across campus.

I knew this would be popular among faculty because such acknowledgements are strangely rate in Higher Education. Over my 33 years, I kept most every hand-written thank-you that I ever received--and the file isn't overly thick!

I underestimated how popular this would be. Profs have been willing to chat for amazing lengths of time. They seem exceedingly happy to get these, and one young Ph.D. student almost wept when she read the card. A full professor with 24 years teaching here said over and over, how nice it was.

So, that raises the question, why is this so very rare.  I recall one of my friends saying that his son wrote a thank-you to each of his profs every semester. What a great idea!  I wish I had thought of that.

Gratitude is a VITAL character trait, especially for Christians.  We OUGHT to be exceedingly thankful to the G^d of the Universe who did for us what NO person could ever do--He saved us from our sins for ALL eternity! This is the greatest gift, but far, that you could EVER receive--don't you think you could show a little gratitude?  And, of course, I am speaking to myself too.

So here's my advice, to me and to you. Let's start expressing gratitude where it doesn't often exist. Most people thank others when a service is rendered. But thank your garbage men, the next police-person, the next firefighter, the next veteran or military person you see. Use a bit of imagination and be a bit aggressive. As we express gratitude, our gratitude level inside rises also, and we remember more often to THANK the G^d who gave us life- temporal and eternal!

Thanks for reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment