Monday, November 25, 2019

Criticism

How do you like criticism??

Not much fun is it?

Last night I read my annual performance review, and one of the three reviewers was pretty tough on me. The other two seemed to be big fans. Two out of three ain't too bad eh?

I wish I had NOT read that 3rd reviewer's comments right before bed.  It was bad timing.

Here's a couple of experpts for your enjoyment:
"...his shortcomings in the areas of polish, appropriateness, and openmindedness."
Sweet eh?

"...he's got some ideas about the way things should be done that have calcified in his mind, but times have changed and his ministry approach has not changed with it."
So much for being innovative.

Hey he was on a roll, so here's a couple more:

"...tell him where he was inappropriate, too casual, or where the audience was distracted from his message by one of his antics

And, last but not least:
"...he needs to quit CAPITALIZING words he wants to emphasize. or doing weird things with the typewriter like writing G^D.

Well, in my defense, I haven't used a typewriter in years. But, I guess he assumed this since my ministry approach is still unchanged.

As I have reflected and sought the L^rd (pls excuse the ^ if it offends you), my attitude towards this critque shifted significantly. Maybe he was right about some/all of his points. I am 69.6 years old and have been doing some of these errors a loooooong time.
I am unsure if I can change or not.

Also, I am a bit unsure with regard to which of these I want to change. I don't want to be calcified, but I am finding it harder to change.

I wrestled 4 years in High School.
I was a plebe at USNA.
I was active duty 8 years.
I served with the US Marine Corps 3 years of the 8.
I have run maybe 3 dozen marathons and ultra-marathons.


And, YET (all caps) this is the biggest beat-down I have ever suffered.

Well done man, well done.

Who knows, maybe it will do some good???

1 comment:

  1. Phil, I am still amazed at how much we have in common (-10 years!). Did you know I also wrestled 4 years in high school?

    ReplyDelete