Monday, November 18, 2019

Wow! A Jewish Jew

I am standing in line to see the beautiful interior of Il Duomo in beautiful Florence, IT. The folks behind me are French. The fellow in front of me is chatting excitedly on the telephone. His accent sounds like a mid-Atlantic origin. We have a few minutes of waiting, so I strike up a conversation by guessing he is from the mid-Atlantic region.

"Philadelphia." He says. But on further probing I learn he grew up on Long Island, but he doesn't have a strong Island accent.

We exchange information about our jobs. He has founded an oncology software company, and is in Florence for some sort of international convention. When I tell him I am a Christian missionary, he suggests I may not want to talk with him because he is...Jewish!

Oh contrare, I tell him, I love all things Jewish.

This catches him totally off-guard and raises the immediate question of why.

I recite the Baruch eta and tell him that my own religion was founded upon the Hebrew faith. I tell him I had just led a Rosh Hoshanah celebration and that I thought all Christians OUGHT to celebrate at least some of the Jewish Biblical feasts: Rosh Hoshanah, Yom Kippur, Succot, and Passover. Passover is a no-brainer, but the other feasts also have strong Christian implications. I tell him I have 3 or 4 kippas (yarmalukes) and a prayer shawl, and a mezzuzah on my door.

This young Jew, to my surprise, is a devout Jew who knows a LOT about his faith. This is a shock, because MOST Christians and Jews seem to know only a little about their own religion. I am NOT trying to criticize, just sharing my personal observations. (Recently when I tried to connect with a Jewish lady, and recited the Baruch eta, the lady responded with "And all that stuff...!" This is not rare."

He explains his view of Jesus. Jesus was a good teacher (rabbi) who told the Jews to abandon the old ways and live a good, virtuous life.

I explain the gospel in brief, but clear, terms.

Together we tour the beautiful Roman Catholic cathedral. We continue chatting about religion. When we have thoroughly seen the sights, and taken each other's pictures in front of the great altar. He compliments my Hebrew pronunciation. We exit. Without hesitation he consents to a photo with me. Then he gives me his contact info., and we part company.

I have emailed him, hoping to continue our conversation. So far, and understandably, I haven't heard back from him. I hope that one day I will.  I really liked this very Jewish young man.

Pray for my friend, Nathaniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment