Thursday, November 14, 2019

Sweetness from the past- Life Review

Yesterday (19 Oct.) I was putting up a portable treestand in a place I have been wanting to deer hunt. The path to the pine tree was filled with sugarberry bushes, laden with berries. This may well be the BEST crop of sugarberries I have ever seen. Every bush seemed full of berries.

Sugar berries are a little dark purple berries resembling blueberries but a little smaller. They grow on a bush with small oval leaves that can be taller than your head. The little berries are mildly sweet, but the name may come from the flesh which is grainy, like a bit of sugar feels. Here's a picture...after I had eaten some of the berries:


I think the reason I love these tiny treats is that my Dad introduced us boys to them on one of the many Sunday afternoon strolls on the old Bishop farm bordering the Etowah River in Canton, GA. Each season had its treats: wild blueberries, squirrels and rabbits, hickory nuts, blackberries, quail, and sugarberries.

Thanks be to G^d that we can get such great pleasure from such small things. G^d has Blessed us so abundantly, and an abundance of sugarberries is such a sweet reminder!

No comments:

Post a Comment