Monday, February 29, 2016

I Have Been Committed to an Institution

I have been committed to an institution for many years now.  and my commitment grows steadily over time.

No not that kind of commitment!!  And, not that kind of institution!

I am talking about my commitment to The Christ, and the institution of the Christian Church.  I have shared over many blogs about this issue.  As I reflected in Sunday School and Worship service this AM, it struck me how important it is to FOLLOW Christ as opposed to just "being a Christian".

Another buddy and I are teaching an adult SS class this term on discipleship- which is really what I just described above.  A disciple follows someone, and they are serious and committed to it.

"To whom (not where) shall we go, you have the words of life?" said Jesus' disciples (Jn 6:68).

Indeed, if one seeks the "words of life", there is NO other source than Jesus.  "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it."

We think we can "make a better life" and be happier, etc., etc., but it never seems to work for us.  Go figure.  The L^rd of the Universe, the L^rd who made heaven and earth and us, might know something about how we ought to live. As I read Scripture, us seeking our own way is NOT consistent with obeying G^d.

The "here-and-now" exerts great pressure on us, and the promises of G^d are distant.

But, think about it, we all know how this all works out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment