Monday, June 20, 2016

Tired, but now RE-tired!!

I have enjoyed 32 fruitful years at the University of Alabama.  Although I spent 3.5 years in Federal Court, it was still the best job in the world!

There are challenges in this business...The students are an ever-moving target.  What USED to be effective loses its punch, and vice versa.

I expected the research to be the intellectual challenge, but it turned out that effective teaching was more of a puzzle to solve- and I never completely solved it!

Coming into UA in 1984, I was told, "The salaries aren't that great, but the retirement is awesome!"

I didn't find that to be quite right.  I was pleased with my salary- at least after about the 22-24 year mark, but indeed the retirement we get is indeed very nice.

My biggest goal at UA was to influence people for Christ.  Matt 16:26 is on my mind a lot, "For what doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul!"  No point in having a highly educated populace headed for hell!

I know I influenced a few folks, and for that I am eternally grateful (pun intended).

I hope that some folks heard me, and one of these days it will dawn on them and somehow they will have a deep, or deeper, relationship with the True and Living G^d.

That's my prayer-- and the real eternal reward of my time at UA.

No comments:

Post a Comment