Thursday, July 25, 2013

Camping the Okavango Delta

In a previous post I mentioned our trip via mokoro into the Okavango Delta, the worlds largest inland delta.  I told of the several steps in getting to the delta.

I have camped a good bit over the years, but this was different.  This time the workers did the work.  They unloaded the boats with only a little help from us, set up the tents, rolled out the thick bedrolls with the built-in foam (I guess) mattresses.  The beds were impressively comfortable.

The workers gathered firewood, built a little latrine, opened up a little folding table, and started a fire.

This is the way to camp!

While they were working, they invited us to try out the mokoros ourselves.  Andrew made the first run and I the second.  The long, smooth bottom made it a bit tricky to steer, but years of paddling all sorts of canoes, kayaks, etc. gave us some clues.


While supper was being prepped, we made the first of two game walks.  All of our previous experience had been riding in safari vehicles.  Walking, getting to see the ground was a different experience.


I asked a lot of questions.  I was interested in tracks, droppings, feathers, snail shells.  The guides patiently answered.  We saw fewer animals, but it was different to be on the ground with them.  We saw a zebra that had lost its tail.  "Lucky escape from a lion" said the guide, but I am pretty sure that was 100% speculation.

After a delicious meal, we went to bed early.  The guides told us to listen for wildlife during the night.

I did hear an unsual sound at one point in the night and noticed that one of the guides had lit a light, probably to let the animals know we were there.

What I heard was... well that's another post I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment