Monday, July 15, 2013

Praise

Yesterday one of the UB students that I know well from Cru invited me to his congregation's 25th anniversary celebration.  It was interesting, and I am glad to have been a part of it.

The service went a bit over-time at a little over 2 hours.  The congregational praise team led singing, mostly in Tswana, for over an hour.  Several of the songs had the congregation running in place, or dancing, or doing a version of the hokey-pokey.  On some occasions, congregants came down and danced enthusiastically in front.  The dancing wasn't choreographed, it wasn't suggestive or inappropriate, it was simply enthusiastic.

I got tired just watching the praise leader and one of the congregants who burned some serious calories.

This was followed by another praise team from Zimbabwe.  They went about a half an hour with more dancing.

They were followed by a Christian dance troupe dancing traditional Batswana dances, called Christ Africa.  They danced about three dances, but when they walked off the stage, the crowd called for an encore.

After a few short minutes of announcements, etc. the dancers came out for two more dances.

In short, it was a worship service unlike any I ever experienced.  I didn't understand but a few of the songs.  I am not a dancer.  But, there is no doubt that most of the folks were enthusiastic and sincere in their praise.

It is good to know that many of these fellow Christians love the L^rd as much as anyone.  They praise and worship a bit differently than in some other parts of the world, but who's to say HOW it should be done.  I recall that King David danced before the L^rd.

I think in heaven there will be a great variety of praise and worship.  One day, before long, we'll know.

No comments:

Post a Comment