Thursday, April 2, 2020

Life review: My 3.5 years in Court Part 2

Last post I told you that I had been prohibited from speaking about Christianity on the campus where I worked. I had sworn an oath as a midshipman, and as a commissioned US Navy officer to support and defend the Constitution of the USA. I had flown over 3500 hours in defense of our country and our freedoms. I viewed the university's prohibition of content-specific speech to be a violation of my First Amendment rights to Free Speech and Free Exercise of Religion.

A knowledgeable friend arranged for me to meet with a group of Christian attorneys (not an oxymoron). They grilled me about all aspects of work, apparently to ensure i wasn't using this issue to cover up some other malfeasance on my part. After the grilling, they let me know that my ONLY recourse against the memo prohibiting my speaking about the Christ, would be to file suit against the Uni., something they didn't necessarily recommend, given my financial circumstances.

Again, after prayer and discussion we...filed a Federal lawsuit in the Northern District of Alabama.

What?

I had NO idea what was coming. We were NOT asking for damages, just relief from the censorious memo. And this was the start of a looooong ordeal.

A few months later began discovery. This meant hours of preparation and supplying scores of documents, followed by an extensive deposition, a grilling by the Univ. Attorneys.

To this day I am totally unsure HOW I was able to do all the work that this case required, whilst still doing my teaching, research and service, plus taking care of my young and growing family. Somehow I did--perhaps in the same way that as newlyweds, Brenda and I seemed to be spending and giving more than we were making, and yet never ran out of money.

And, while in the midst of all this, I heard from G^d. At the end of Romans 12, there is a quotation from Proverbs that says, "If your enemy is hungry, give him something to eat, and if he is hungry give him something to drink. For in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head."And Proverbs adds, "And the L^rd will reward you."

I figured, G^d know what He is speaking of, so let's give 'er a try. And we did. Read about it in the next post.

1 comment: