Monday, April 6, 2020

Life review: My 3.5 years in Court Part 3

The last post, I mentioned trying to extra kind to my "enemies". In one instance, Brenda and I were at the house of the guy who had given me the memo demanding my silence regarding Christianity.

Everyone else was down in the den watching a football game. Brenda, me, and his wife were in his kitchen where she was pouring me a refill of my cup of coca cola. As she poured, I called her name and said, "D. I want to tell you how much I have benefited from C's leadership. Your husband has been a great leader for me."

I was the LAST person she expected to hear complimenting her husband. I wish I had a photo of that moment. Her chin almost hit her shiny island counter-top across from me.  Wow, just wow. I was sold, and took every opportunity to show kindness to the "other side". The key attorney fighting for the memo had a sick daughter. I went by his office to ask as to her welfare. It was the least I could do.

I was the "flavor of the month" later in the court case. I was speaking all over the place. Christian Profs wanted me to speak all the time, and I was thrilled to talk about what happened. Eventually, I realized the reason this group wanted to hear was so that they could learn how to STAY OUT of this kind of situation.

I found that a bit odd, because I was feeling G^d's presence in a special way throughout this long ordeal. Few US Christians ever have their faith tested, but here I was.  Thank you L^rd!

Which leads to a speaking story. I was invited to speak to a large adult Sunday School at a large Episcopal Church in Birmingham. I gave my spiel, and entertained some good questions. Afterwards we were headed for our car. I was accosted by an attorney who was part of the class. He excitedly told me how I was wrong to mention Christ on campus, and needed to obey my employer. As soon as he paused, his quiet wife interjected. "Honey, do you remember when one of our daughter's professors attacked her Christian faith in class?" His demeanor changed 180 degrees.

Another "Kodak moment". Wow, being persecuted was turning out to be a lot of work, but a lot of REGARDS too.  G^d says we should "COUNT IT ALL JOY when you encounter various trials...".

Only recently I read Matt 5:10-12. It had never really struck me until this time. Take a look and tell me what you think about persecution now.




No comments:

Post a Comment