Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Life Review: Zoomed-out!

It is 21 April, and we have  been in COVID crazies for about 6 weeks. Before COVID I had to do a Zoom or Google-hangout call about once a month for Cru ministry, and I dreaded each one. After COVID forced all meetings to video calls, I went through a period of actually enjoying the convenience of meeting via computer. No driving was involved, you could join a meeting in about 1-2 minutes. You could dress more casually than usual.  There was an up-side and I enjoyed it.

Alas, those days are passed. I have never been a phone talker, and the novelty of Zoom has long passed. I am good for about 30 mins, but beyond that, it gets tough. Part of my issue is my back pain that comes from sitting too long at the computer. The computer posture is particularly hard on my back.

I have noticed that most people on video calls seem to be poker-faced, dispassionate. This too is a bit disconcerting to me, because I am constantly watching people to see their responses to the communications. I guess I get that from years of teaching.

To counter the lack of emotion in the audience, I do everything to SHOW emotion. I "thumbs up" often, I smile big, I nod. I may be muted, but I do all I can to communicate with expressions and any other way I can.

Yesterday's Zoom tried to lighten up a bit by playing Willie Nelson's "You are always on my Mind". When I saw the photo of Willie on the screen, I asked Brenda to get me a bandanna, and I did my best impression of Willie.  We do favor a bit--except I can't sing a lick.

Well, hopefully, by the time you read this, we will be on the down-slope of the COVID crazies. Let us pray to that end.

No comments:

Post a Comment