Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ahhh, finally retired! Not so fast!

Retirement is an issue I think about a lot these days.  Financially, despite the economic downturn, we are in a financial position, thank you L^rd, where we could retire any day.  And to some friends, it is a great mystery, and a substantial foolishness, that I don't hang up the erasers and dry-erase markers.

And, why not?  Why not devote more time to the beach, or hunting, or fishing, or travel?  Just a few weeks back a friend at work, Gwen, who gives tickets to errant parkers on campus, said, "Why don't you retire so that you and Brenda can travel?"

"Why would I do that?  I can travel already, as much as I want, and the University usually pays for my travel expenses.  IF I retire, I'll have to pay for these trips."

That was intended to be a little joke, but it contains a larger truth.  A few months after our friend, Jimmy Moore, sold his business and retired, Brenda and I asked him about the downside to retirement.

Jimmy quickly answered,  "When you retire you lose your forum for ministry."

Wow, Good point!

Now, true enough, many people retire and expand their ministry.  My mentor  Rae Mellichamp did just that.  So it is certainly possible to do just that, retire to MORE ministry.

But I can't give up my job just yet:
I've been trying to learn my trade for over 30 years, I can't give it up yet.
I get lots of ministry opps here at the UA.
I get lots of ministry opps around the world.
I've been trying to improve/increase my ministry for over 40 years, I can't give it up yet.

Caleb (the one who faithfully spied out the Promised Land) in Exodus is one of my heroes.  When they were giving out the parcels of the Promised Land, as an old man (~85 years) Caleb says, "Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said." (Josh 14:12)

L^rd give me the heart of Caleb.  Nothing is too difficult for You.  Let us continue to serve the True and Living G^d!!

No comments:

Post a Comment