Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Illiterate Again!!

A few months back I wrote a post about being illiterate in Sweden.  It turns out I am a lot dumber than I thought.  At least in Sweden I could read the letters, and occasionally could figure out a word.

In Mongolia, not only could I seldom read a word, I could seldom even recognize a letter!

Here's an example of what I mean.





This is the MAIN building of Mongolian International University.  I asked a student, "Does that sign say, 'Mongolian International University'?"  He said yes, but he could have been just kidding me, I have no way of knowing.

Mongolian language sounds Asian, with just a dash of Russian thrown in.  Given its location, wedged solidly between China and Russia, I guess that might be expected.

But the Cyrillic alphabet, I really wasn't expecting that to be thrown into the mix.  A little Wikipedia investigation suggests that the Cyrillic is used in (Outer) Mongolia but the traditional Mongolian script (pictographic) is used in Inner Mongolia (large section of China to the S and E of Outer Mongolia).

But beyond the alphabet, I was still illiterate. In Sweden many people, and virtually everyone younger than 35, could speak English.  In Mongolia, almost NO one spoke English.    My deficiency was most crucial when I was trying to buy groceries or trying to explain why some part of my hotel room (hot water, tv, breakfast) wasn't functioning.  The grocery store had no one who understood a word of (my) English.  Fortunately, one person on the hotel staff could understand me, and I could occasionally partially understand her.

Being in this illiterate, unintelligible situation is always humbling for me.  I am dependent.  I wish I realized that a lot more often in the USA.  I am dependent, but know that I act far too independently.

If G^d doesn't do it, if not for His mercy and grace, all is lost.  I wish I would depend on G^d more; I wish I wasn't so self-sufficient.

Given my inability to do anything but "wish", L^rd I am depending upon You to make me more dependent, more a person who lives by faith.  Amen.

I did recognize one Cyrillic word, it just wasn't Mongolian.  See below.


2 comments:

  1. And that's gone too. The statue was removed last week, I hear it's a garden gnome in some tourist camp now. Guess you'll have to learn another word for next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Surprised it was moved. Not many of Lenin statues left I guess.
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete