Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sleepy the Dwarf, Jetlagged

Many years ago, I was a Naval Flight Officer.  My flight squadron had an important mission and we were randomly based (our mission origins and destinations were top secret).  I probably flew to Europe about 10 times per year.  About 18 months into the 3-year tour, we changed our schedule to start our deployments out of Bermuda.

Mostly we flew to western Europe, only about 4-5 time zones ahead of us in Maryland.  I remember many trips to: 
  • London, 
  • Upper Heyford, 
  • Mildenhall, 
  • Lands End, 
  • and Oxford, England.  

I recall vaguely:
  • Bitburg, and Franfurt Germany, 
  • and Oslo, Norway, 
  • and Keflavik, Iceland, 
  • and Madrid and Barcelona, and Malaga, Spain.  

I remember well:
  • Lajes in the Azores Islands, 
  • and once going to the Canary Islands.  

I remember:
 Antigua, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago. 

I recall:
  • swimming in Bermuda, 
  • and running in rural England.  

I recall food we ate and some things we saw...but, I don't recall ever being jet lagged.

My how that has changed!   This trip to Mongolia gave me the worst jet-lag ever.

I got home Friday PM and sat down in the recliner and lost consciousness for three hours.

I got up, went to bed around 9 PM and slept until noon Saturday.  Ah, I thought, recovered... NOT!

It takes me about one day per time zone to adapt.  I was actually in Mongolia only 7 days and 1 hour.  I never adapted.

"Good", I thought, "That will be less to adapt to back in the USA."  NOT.

I have now been home 8.7 days, and last night I THINK I finally got a decent night's sleep without waking at 2:45 AM and unable to go back to sleep.

I take small things for granted.  I took sleep for granted.  New tip:  Take nothing for granted!!

Thank you L^rd for good, sound sleep.  We pray right now for Missionary friends who travel constantly and must be perpetually jet-lagged.  We pray for those with sleep disorders, with illnesses, with other issues that prevent sound sleep.

L^rd bring to mind the mundane things, for (Ja 1:17), "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment