Friday, October 5, 2012

Just makin’ a few repairs




One of the most outstanding things about Ulaanbaatar, besides all the “a’s”, is that is mostly under repair.  

You can’t travel more than a few feet from my hotel before you run into ditches, broken sidewalks, chopped concrete.  There are piles of gravel, scattered cobbles, and workmen doing a variety of tasks.  There are many closed streets.  Near my friends’ apartment half a bridge is being re-built.  This is easily the most repair per square kilometer that I have ever seen.  It’s not just that I’m in a particular neighborhood, it’s like this all over.



I am not sure why all this is going on right now, and why it is all going on at once.  My colleague here reckoned is was campaign promise for the last election.  I have my doubts.  Much is promised in elections, little is delivered.  But this is a different culture  than the USA, and perhaps here your word means something.
I gather that it has been this way a long time.  Maybe the economic system provides not reward for working faster.  Perhaps the coal mining money is being put to good use all at once.  Whatever the reason, there’s a lot going on.

Repair is almost always good news.  It sometimes means,
“The old is gone, the new has come
What You complete is completely done
We're heirs with Christ, the victory won
What You complete is completely done.”  Josh Harris

We are all works in progress, and seeing the repairs should remind us of that, 
“…being confident of this very thing, that he who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ…”  (Phil 1:6).

L^rd make it so.  Repair me, repair all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment