Tuesday, October 30, 2012

No Yellow lines in the Coldest Capital City of the World



I have been highly blessed to travel around the world.  Everywhere I have gone I have observed how drivers act towards one another and the law.

Ulaanbaatar takes the prize for the best drivers doing the worst possible things.  I mentioned in an earlier post about the traffic jam that sets my record for the worst and most foolish I have ever seen.



On Thursday past, I did the only travel by private auto of my trip.  I was able to see firsthand how drivers navigate the potholes and crowded, and I mean REALLY crowded, streets.  I had learned a bit about this in trying to cross the street.  If you are too cautious, maybe even just justifiably cautious, you can seldom cross a street in UB.

By the same token, if you drive in a cautious careful manner, you can’t get anywhere.  Everyone is in some hurry, and if the street lane is slow, just pull over on the verge (side of the road) and keep a goin’.  I only saw a couple of fender-benders, but I was only there a week. I must assume that these drivers are highly skilled and all know the unwritten rules, among which seems to be:
  • Do NOT allow any space between you and the vehicle in front.
  • Never let anyone cut through.
  • Passing on the right is expected
  • Passing can be at any time or place- there are no yellow lines!
  • Watch for potholes, and go wherever necessary to avoid them.
  • Above all, have faith, G^d will somehow provide.

In some ways, UB driving gives us some good illustrations of the Christian life.  We have to take chances, by faith.  We avoid potholes at all costs.  We must drive with boldness.  Even if you have an occasional small accident, at least you are moving forward.

So, throw caution to the winds.  Live recklessly for the Christ. Above all, have faith, G^d will somehow provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment