Sunday, October 14, 2012

Church across 7 thousand miles

My colleagues in our Christian Faculty Fellowship at UA asked me to give a talk about my time in Mongolia.  Easily done.  I started putting it together immediately and there is so much about which to talk, that it was easy.

It dawned on me that our congregation might also have a passing interest, so two weeks from tomorrow I expect to give a short chat during the worship service.

All of this has caused me to reflect a bit.  I differed from the Mongolians in background, education, language, customs, traditions, habits, attitudes, politics, and  in lots of other small things.  BUT, all those little tings are greatly over-whelmed by what we all have in common with our Christian Mongolian (and Russian, Chinese, Korean, and Kazakh) Christian brothers and sisters.



I sat in a church service in Ulaanbaatar, and only understood about half of what was said, and tried to fight jet lag as best I could (it was 3 AM at home when church began).  Yet, here I sat worshiping with brothers and sisters who share the same L^rd, Savior, faith, religious heritage, and Scriptures.





Above is the pastor of the Mongolian Church we attended playing the morin khuur (fiddle with the horse’s head).


When you think about it,  we have MORE in common with the Mongolians that we will never meet, than with our unbelieving colleagues at work!  Wow!

One day we will enjoy the Wedding Feast of the Lamb, in all its joy and glory together.  We will live for all eternity with fellow believers across history and geography.

And, that will be a glorious day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment