Sunday, December 16, 2012

Blessings vs Curses

In my many years of observation, it appears that what we often think are blessings are really curses, and vice-versa.  For example:

  • Being Smart
  • Being Beautiful/Handsome
  • Beign Famous.

Most people eagerly desire these qualities and others.  Some folks will study long and hard, and sacrifice things that they shouldn't, in order to be smart.

People will even undergo surgery or surgeries in order to be beautiful/handsome.  And who doesn't want to be famous?

But consider the curse-side of these "blessings".  If you look at university professors, and physicians, you find that the percentage of Christians is much lower than in the general population. I have met a lot of folks who were "too smart for their own good."  There's a reason for this, but that's another post.

Being beautiful/handsome sounds good.  But is it?  Sexual temptation is a problem for lots of people.  How do I know?  I just pay attention.  Does being beautiful raise the odds of problems?  I think so, because I pay attention.  In fact, the uglier you are, the less you may tempt others.  And the uglier they are, the less you will be tempted.  Cosmetic surgery?  I don't think I want to spend money for bigger problems.

Being famous sounds like fun.  I wouldn't know.  I strongly suspect that fame is more of a curse than a blessing.  But is it?  I think so, because I pay attention.

Ja 5: 1-3, "1 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries which are coming upon you. 2 Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and your silver have rusted ; and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh like fire. It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure!"  

Remember it is harder for a rich man to do something...

Ja 4:6, "“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

1 Peter 5:6, "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you..."

I just wish I paid more attention to my own faults and weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment