Sunday, December 2, 2012

Patience JackAss, Patience

When I was a Cub Scout (very young Boy Scouts), we had a skit we did when our parents came for a big meeting, that I think was annual.  One of the skits we did involved a person working with a jackass who was repeating over and over "Patience jackass".  The joke was the skit went on and on, and eventually someone grew impatient and complained, whereupon everyone in the skit said, "Patience JackAss, Patience."

I struggle at being patient.  I can't understand why my students, who have much more to lose than I do, fail to make deadlines, fail to plan far enough ahead, fail to collect data, analyze and write with care.  But then it dawns on me again.

How often G^d is compelled to be patient with me.  I fail to share, fail to obey, fail to love, forgive and encourage with care.

Surely if G^d can forgive me my many failures, I can be a bit more patient with the small things that those around me do. In Matt 18:21-35, Jesus illustrates that a debtor forgiven so very much, ought to likewise forgive.  The parable ends this way:
 

34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.
35 a“So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother 7his trespasses.”

L^rd, give us forgiving hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment