Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Miracle of Life

When most people see that title, they think, the miracle of BIRTH.  Whereas birth is miraculous, life is also miraculous.  Most of us never give a thought to our body, and how many things MUST function for us to survive a day.

We wake up, and our bodies have to do a lot.  First, we have to adjust our blood pressure, which has been the lowest of the day already.  If we fail to raise the pressure, when we stand up, we'll have insufficient pressure to push blood all the way up to our brain, and it won't be long before we lose consciousness.  Our body temp isn't very low, but throughout the day, as activity increases, we will need to lose more heat.  As activity falls, we must retain more heat to keep our biochemistry moving along at it's needed rate.

As we move our heart speeds and slows, to match the muscle's demand for oxygen carried by our red blood cells.  Speaking of which, these red cells are constantly recycled.  About every 120 days our entire supply of oxygen-carrying hemoglobin has been totally re-packaged.  The inventory must be kept in check to make sure we don't die from too many or too few red cells.

Our bodies are assaulted by bacteria and viri.  Our blood must clot to avoid us bleeding to death, yet if it clots at the wrong place, the clot can kill us or give us a stroke.

Our vestibular system enables us to balance on two legs, our liver is de-toxifying our blood, and our kidneys are regulating our body fluids.  Our stomach and intestines are extracting nutrients and energy from our cornflakes and milk.

To keep us alive, a LOT of stuff must function, and we are largely unaware of most of these vital functions.

In Ps 139, God tells us, "For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well. (vv 13-14).

For my friends who believe that our complex bodies were created by chance (evolution), I must confess, I wish I had that much faith!!  I'd be a terrific Christian, if I had your faith.

Let's go run a few miles. 













No comments:

Post a Comment