Sunday, December 30, 2012

I'm dying

I'm dying.

Don't get excited, you are too.

It dawned on me again today... We are not long for this earthly realm.  All of us are on our way out.  Some of us may live a great many years, others, just a few, but "it is appointed unto man, once to die and something, something."

Does that matter, since death is inevitable?   Because it is inevitable, it should matter a GREAT deal.  There are NO contingency plans for death, because death is not a contingent.   Nobody gets out of here alive.

Tell me something new, you say.

We are fascinated with the new, and yet ignore the absolute truth of the old.  That we are all dying has enormous ramifications.  Because most of us believe that there is LIFE after death, and because of death's inevitability, I find it amazing that we don't plan for, or even think about, this time after death, which we believe to be eternal.  It's as if, we are baptized so we don't HAVE to think about it.

"Lay not up for yourselves treasure on earth...".  I have quoted that verse (Matt 6:20) before.  Yet, despite my best intentions, I find myself laying up treasures on earth, nonetheless.

"...do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."  (Matt 6:1-4).


“One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”  Mk 10:21

I am unsure what this talk of treasure in Heaven is all about.  And, it doesn't matter.  I think I am stupid to focus on money, and honors, and papers, and possessions and happiness, meanwhile neglecting G^d's interests and intents for me.

What am I thinking to be so foolish?

No comments:

Post a Comment