Monday, December 10, 2012

Turtle Rock




The most famous rock formation in Terelj National Park, Mongolia, is Turtle rock.  This is a huge rock formation that lends itself to climbing around.  


Sooo…

We climbed around.



It was a beautiful day, with beautiful views in several directions.


At one point, the passage narrows down to an opening only large enough for a small person.  We all squeezed through, but it was a squeeze.











Earlier in the day, I picked up a plastic bag and a bottle off the otherwise pristine ground.  I was gratified when the guide and driver collected an armful of trash at Turtle Rock.

 
In my story, “Picking up the Trash”, I note that my verbal efforts to engage others in keeping the UA campus clean were futile.  However, I had found that those who ran along with me, and saw me do it, would often begin on their own, without a word from me.

I think that is one way that Jesus impacted the disciples and others.  Jesus simply set the example and some of those watching joined in with what he was doing.  Jesus prayed, so the disciples asked Him to teach them to pray (Lk 11).  Henry Brandt said that was the same today.  We see what G^d is doing and then get in on it.

People have been marveling at Turtle Rock for a long time.  It’ll be there for a long time.  The little bit of trash that my friends picked up won’t be noticed in a few days.  But that doesn’t matter.  We are obedient to G^d because G^d died for us, we do it out of gratitude to him, not because we expect to have a big impact.  G^d could clean up the trash on His own without our help.  G^d doesn’t need our help at all.  That HE let’s us be involved in what He is doing, that is the marvelous thing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment