Saturday, December 8, 2012

Monuments








When we were in Sweden, I took some pictures of the statuary art around town.  There were plenty of statues in Mongolia, even the small part I saw.  The one below is a memorial to WWII, and for some reason, was my favorite.

This was my second favorite, a statue of Lenin.  From what I have heard, there probably aren’t many of these left standing.

Here is Marco Polo, famed Venetian explorer, who pretty much put Mongolia on the map - literally.

This statue is also a favorite, and is a restoration of a famous female hero of Mongolia.  It was located at the back of Terelj National Park.

Here is another statue of a Russian General. I am not sure who is was, and locals couldn't tell me right off, but i thought it was neat.

Here is an archer.  I am an archer, so I felt a certain kinship.


We erect monuments to keep famous people and events in mind.  But, it never works.  Yes, we remember Lenin, but that may not be a good thing.  But a person is never immortalized by a statue.  People are immortal whether they have a statue somewhere or not.  People will go on forever, even after death.  Anything we can do to move people to eternal life in heaven, is effort well spent.

We may forget the statue, or what this or that person did, but let us not forget the immortality of every person, great or small.  And, let us do all we can to make that eternity with G^d.

1 comment: