Friday, December 21, 2012

Tempus fugit

I have written before about that crucial issue, time.  Time haunts me.  And, like many others I have noticed that the older I get, the faster time goes by.

I recently gained a new insight into time, and it's rate of passage.  I have come to beleive that G^d intended for us to perceive time's passage more sensitively as we age.

It's a simple warning.

When we are young, life stretches out before us, seemingly endlessly.  In middle age, there is still plenty of time.  But with maturity (began at 40 for me, I think), we recognize that the toilet paper roll goes much faster when it has been well used.  Weeks fly by, and weekends are mere blur.

It's a simple warning.

G^d is gently, kindly, thoughtfully, giving us a warning.  This life will soon be past.  If you don't think so, think back to your youth.  Think of when your kids were very young.

It is a simple warning.

I think it is the warning of the 10 virgins, the 5 talents, the wars and rumors of wars, the two men in the field, the two women grinding, the cruel slave-in-charge, all in Matthew 24-25.  Two chapters devoted to warning us.

"Indeed, just as people are destined to die once and after that to be judged..."  Heb 9:27.

1 comment:

  1. Time is a growing mystery for me. The older I get the more precious it becomes and yet the more willing I am to part with it--like gold dust slipping through my opening hands.

    I miss time with you. Our brief talk in the back of the funeral home may have been an unintentional metaphor.

    ReplyDelete