Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Advances in Technology

This is how I learned to key board.  In truth it was a bit newer model, but it was definitely a manual typewriter.  My mom went to secretarial school and she was a teacher all her life.  Not sure why I was interested, but I wanted to learn to type for some reason, and she was an eager teacher.

I learned touch typing and typed my term papers in college.  I graduated a scant 41 years ago.  My how technology has changed.

For you youngsters, I will recap a bit of technological history.  First was the manual typewriter, pretty much like the one above.  From there the manuals got sleeker, lighter and portable.  Then someone had the skills to energize the machine and low and behold the electric typewriter came to be.  The next big advance I can recall is the ball typewriter with an interchangeable ball so you could change fonts.

The final technoloigical advancement was a correcting typewriter.  I needed a lot of correcting, but I never had that model.

I have said on many occassions that the advent of the personal computer saved my career. The key advancement is the ability to SAVE documents.  That feature is the ideal for ADHD folks with a low attention to detail.

Technology has caused us many problems.  But, as i said with regard to long-distance comunication, here is much for which to be thankful.

For us old timers, there is even MORE for which to be grateful because we can remeber... the bad old days of pre-technolgouy.

Thanks be to our G^d for personal computers.

1 comment:

  1. In high school I had to take a typing class. There were 4-5 rows of typewriters in the room. Each row had 5 electric typewriters and 1 manual typewriter. Each day the teacher would rotate us to a different typewriter. We all always dreaded landing on the manual typewriter. It was so much harder to use!!!! I'm very thanful for computers!

    ReplyDelete