Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fear, Fear Not

We welcome the 18 Americans in town for the CRU summer project.  The first night the leader, Ramsey, asks them to go around and talk about what they hope and what they hope not.

Fear is a common topic.  They fear illness, injury, not doing something right, not being fervent enough.

The next morning I will get the opportunity to speak to them briefly.  I pray.  G^d give me direction.

I read that morning Phil. 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I begin my brief talk confessing that I had experienced a LOT of fear in Botswana.  I have done some crazy things in helicopters, Navy jets,  and submarines.  

We once had a major fuel emergency in a Navy turbo-prop at 30k feet.  I went to sleep while we found a place for an emergency landing.  I was powerless to do anything about it.  Might as well enter heaven well-rested, I thought.

I have Australian repelled, been very close to black bear. I have been in Afghanistan and Uzbekistan.  But I have had more fear here than anywhere.



I tell them that Scripture tells us to fear G^d and fear nothing else.  Easier said than done I tell them.  I ask who knows Phil. 4:6-7.  It is one of Janna's favorite verses, so as soon as I start it, she quotes it.  The verse tells us to pray, I tell them, so I pray for all of us.

" L^rd we confess our fear, we ask for your protection and keep us from fear.  L^rd through these experiences, deepen our relationship with you."

And so I continue to pray, for me and for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment