Thursday, September 19, 2013

Another Driving Scare

As you know, we have had 18 visiting CRU Summer Project team members visiting us here in Botswana.  Brenda and I have been hauling around a subset of this group.

Brenda, in her kind, considerate matter was turning around to chat with some of the people riding with us.  Of course they are freshly arrived from the USA where everyone drives on the right and where the steering wheel is on the left side of the auto. Here, the steering is done from the RIGHT side of the vehicle.

But the CRU visitors automatically assumed Brenda was driving, being on the left, and was turning around to chat.  They got quite a scare.

I can empathize.

We often misinterpret what we see people doing.  To the viewers Brenda was the driver, although I was actually doing the steering.

We often misinterpret what we see G^d doing.

Two lessons I have learned from this:
1) My interpretation of what other people are doing may be more a function of my misinterpretation than their actions. I ought to consider this before I jump to conclusions.
2) My interpretation of what G^D is doing may be more a function of my misinterpretation than HIS actions. I ought to consider this before I jump to conclusions.

1 comment: