Thursday, November 21, 2013

Bishop's Not-so-Familar Quotations

There is a once popular book, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1855, now in 18th edition).  I have scarcely heard it mentioned since my childhood, but it would be neat for someone to do a version with more recent quotes.  In my profession and hobbies I do a LOT of writing. I enjoy most of it.  I like words, and a well-turned phrase is "like apples of gold in settings of silver" as described in a phrase I coined (actually stolen from Proverbs 25:11).

I have several files of collected quotes.  Mark Twain and the usual cast of characters are well represented, as is the well known biochemist, Albert Szent-Gyorgyi ;).

Here is a small sample of my favorites:



"If we could but show the world that being committed to Christ is no tame, humdrum, sheltered monotony, but the most exciting, thrilling adventure the human spirit can ever know, those who have been standing outside the church and looking askance at Christ will come crowding in to pay allegiance; and we might well expect the greatest revival since Pentecost."  Dr. James Stewart of Scotland


“Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought.”  Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

 
“Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field.”  Dwight D. Eisenhower
“Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid.” Francis Bacon
“Those who are lifting the world upward and onward are those who encourage more than criticize.” Elizabeth Harrison
“May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you are going, And the insight to know when you have gone too far.” Irish Blessings

“It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.”  Bertrand Russell

“Housework is a breeze.  Cooking is a pleasant diversion. Putting up a retaining wall is a lark. But teaching is like climbing a mountain.”  Fawn M. Brodie


“Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.”  Napoleon Bonaparte

“As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.”  A. Einstein

“Bureaucracy is the art of making the possible impossible.” Javier Pascual Salcedo

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  Mark Twain

Chinese Evangelist writing from prison:  “I am not afraid of being looked down upon by people, because, when I look up I see the smiling face of God.”

“Learning without thought is labor lost.” Confucius

Knowing when to quit is an art lost on me.  P Bishop.


1 comment:

  1. Some of these are great. You are my favorite source of rare quotes. Here are some of my favorite Bishopisms:

    1) Bishop's Law of Opposites (too large to cite here)
    2) "Few things in life are discarded as quickly as unsolicited advice."
    3) "Teacher, know your students. Students, know your teacher."
    4) "Teachers use to make complex ideas seem simple; now it's backwards."
    5) "I met Brenda in a topless bar."

    There are many more.

    Honorable mention: "Man's got to know his limitations." -Dirty Harry via Phil Bishop

    ReplyDelete