Thursday, April 26, 2012

Driving Miss Brendy


Brenda and I had a car for a couple of days!  A friend at church  left for a few days and insisted on loaning me their car.  I have to say, it is a bit disconcerting driving here.  The STOP signs here, so ubiquitous in the USA, are very rare here.

The Swedish driving rule is simple:  every driver cedes the right of way to the car to the right.   Wow!  It seems to actually work.  I have NOT seen a single fender-bender, despite the always-icy roads and the lack of stop signs ( Irecall only seeing a couple.

True there is a good bit less traffic here, speed limits are pretty low, and everyone seems in less of a rush, but I am still impressed.

Strangely, as one who has always championed pedestrian rights, the thing that freaks me (Phil) out most is yielding to pedestrians at every crossing!!



At risk of boring you with constant references to Christianity, consider this principle: yielding to others prevents collisions!  "Each of you should consider others more important than yourself!"

It works w traffic, who knows, it might work with life too!

No comments:

Post a Comment