Sunday, April 22, 2012

Time Zones




I (Phil) have been blessed to travel to a LOT of different time zones.  In my younger days, I scarcely noticed.  We would fly to England, or Germany, or Bermuda, or Iceland, and tour, or run, or whatever we planned, regardless of our circadian clock.    I am not sure how many years ago, but more recently, I have discovered that is NO LONGER true. 



Now my body can detect a 1-hour change in time zone.  My rule of thumb currently is that it takes me about one day per hour of time zone change.


Before daylight savings time, we were 7 hours ahead of Alabama.  DST moves us down to 6 hours. Whoopee, one less day of adjustment...

Then Sweden went to DST and now we are back to 7! 
Being 7 hours ahead has advantages:

  • We get a 7-hour head-start on the USA day.
  •  We can work in "front" of USA.
…and disadvantages.
  • When I am ready to quit work here, my mates back in USA are still generating lots of work emails.
  • Deadlines come 7 hours sooner.

I like the idea of being ahead. I don't like the idea of deadlines at all.  In fact I endeavor to work pretty far ahead on the calendar, so that I avoid the stress of deadlines.

Some stress you can avoid, so why not?  Other stress you can't avoid.


P.S. Quiz
The poor picture of that last employee clock-in timepiece has significance.   It is an import into Sweden from the USA from one of the most widely recognized names in USA business.  It is from... you guess!


1 comment: