Thursday, April 5, 2012

Race Walking

I am a fast walker, or so my wife and kids tell me.  Our family has walked a lot over the years.  And, on many occasions, my wife has kindly reminded me, "Don't walk off without us!"

Sometimes I even run.



But around here I am an average to slow walker.  Just this morning, as I walked briskly to work, a young gal of around 20 passed me, as if I were on a stroll.  This is not unusual.  I get passed by men and women, short and tall, young and middle-aged.

I am hyper-competitive, so sometimes I take this as a challenge.  I will pick up my stride to max velocity and stay with them for a while.  Besides being hypercompetitive, I am also ADHD, so after a couple of minutes, my mind wanders to something else and I forget what I am doing, and slow back down.

People here never seem to put their hands in their pockets, despite the cold.  I figure this is in part so that they can keep their arms free for balance on the ice, but more importantly so they can get a good fast arm swing and walk at about a 10 min mile pace.  Seriously, if they walked any faster, they would have a flight phase (both feet off the ground) and be running.

Most of my life has been at this fast, fast, competitive pace.  But is that the best way to live?

G^d does NOT seem to be in a rush.  I think that is part of the message of Matthew 11:29  "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

No comments:

Post a Comment