Monday, June 10, 2013

C.A.

C.A. is a big deal here.  And "CA" does not stand for Cover (your) A...

CA is Continuing Assessment.  CA is a requirement for all faculty (lecturers) here.  I have had many of my 202 students come by my office asking for their CA.  It strikes me a bit odd, as they have had only two exams, each counting 20% of their final grade... and this is for a measurement class!

We also had a CA meeting of all lecturers to tell everyone how many students were failing at this point.  In my case it was more failures than in my 35 years in Higher Ed.  I am guardedly optimistic that many of those will pull out a passing grade on the final, which counts 50%, by University requirement.  I should also point out that 12% of my Measurement students have A's (grade of 80% or better).  In my Exercise Physiology Class, 50% of the students have As.

It strikes me a bit surprising that CA comes at the end of the semester, rather than maybe at mid-term.  This was also the first time that i had to talk about how a class was doing to my colleagues.  Maybe this is a good idea, it certainly helped me get a better understanding of the big picture in our department.

But perhaps more importantly, it makes me think about more serious CA in my own spiritual life.  If someone looked at my "grades" how would I be doing?  Don't go nuts here.  I am very sure that "performance" has NOTHING to do with salvation.  But when we memorize Eph 2:8-9 (for by grace have you been saved...not of works), we should go one more verse.  Eph. 2:10 says, "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Walking in good works that G^d created for us.  Hmm, interesting thought.  

So how are you doing in your CA?

No comments:

Post a Comment