Wednesday, June 12, 2013

One Truly Talented Bird


 


Recently I wrote about my own “bird-envy”.  This short blog is another tribute to birds, but of a different sort.
As a youngster, only once in my remembrance did I find a Baltimore Oriole nest.  These nests are distinctive.  The Oriole makes a woven sack-like nest, that I found amazing.

Well, here, the Oriole would scarcely be noticed.  Take a look at a common sight here in Botswana.



This amazing nest is fabricated by this small finch-like bird, one of the many weaver birds in southern Africa.



How do they do this?  There is no school for nest weaving.  There are not even classes in this.  If I were to try to do it, I would fail miserably, despite many years of formal education.  These things can’t be taught I think.

"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"  (Matt 6:26).

But maybe this one is even more apt:

Job 35: 10 "But no one says, ‘Where is God my Maker,
who gives songs in the night,
11who teaches more to us than to the beasts of the earth
and makes us wiser than the birds of the air?"

No comments:

Post a Comment