Friday, June 14, 2013

Speaking Engrish



Winston Churchill once observed, “England and the USA.  Two great countries separated by a common language.”  The same might be said for Botswana.

I seldom telephone anyone here, because when I do I cannot understand them, and they cannot comprehend me.  I asked in the grocery recently for a “frozen pie crust” and was courteously led to the zip-lock bags.  

I am quickly getting faster at texting.

My first two weeks of lecturing, my students complained that they could scarcely understand me.  At least that is what I thought they said.  I was teaching about errors.  Here the words for “yes sir” are “er rrah”.  That led to some laughs.

It can be a bit frustrating to always have to say, "Say again", "What?", "Could you repeat that?"   And I am guessing it is not any less frustrating for the other person either.

Communication is always tricky.  I have become convinced that good, clear, straightforward communication is a KEY factor in good leadership.  I have also become convinced that good, clear, straightforward communication is very difficult.

Here, it can be so tough that I indicate understanding even when I don't, just to be merciful to the other person.  I hope I can break that habit.  It may be courteous, but it causes problems.

Part of my communication problem is that I don't hear well.  And, hearing is key to communication too.

But, hearing requires listening, and listening can be hard work.  

Hearing from G^d requires listening too.  And listening can be hard work.


1 comment:

  1. David Ausberger wrote: "Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person, they are almost indistinguishable."

    I guess I must be pretty average, because the older I get the more indistinguishable the two become for me. Each year teaching seems to call for more listening that the year before. My wife and kids and friends seem to need to be heard more than before. Some days at every corner I am confronted with the challenge of listening--which is difficult for us extroverts.

    I guess I'm trying to express, Phil, is that I hear what you're saying. :-)

    ReplyDelete