Monday, June 17, 2013

Mangoes, Delicious Mangoes

It is with great sadness that I note the end of Mango season here in Botswana.  When we first moved here I was impressed with the low cost of Mangoes, at least compared to those in the USA.

I am not sure how many I have eaten, but I do know that I have only one left.  It will be sad to see it go.  Mangoes are easy to eat, sweet, fibrous, tasty, in short the perfect fruit.

I already mentioned the wonderful and economical bananas here.  I also mentioned the naartjies, and they are both cheap and tasty.  Apples here, are not in the varigands we get in the USA, but they are pretty tasty too.

I see papayas, and guavas here.   I bought and consumed a quince a couple of weeks back. It was my first, and I really liked it.  Not sure why don't get those in the USA.

They have some fruit here I have never seen marketed elsewhere, including that quince.  I remember seeing small quince, or "quince apples" as a kid, but not like these.  They are as big as a very large apple, and look similar.  They aren't sweet and juicy, at least not the one I ate, but I liked the texture and taste.

I haven't tried all the fruit, but I will make an effort to taste it all.

I like fruit juices, dried fruit, fruit pies, fruit rollups.  Fruit is appealing, healthy, and easy to carry around.  An apple a day... or maybe a banana.

There was just this one fruit, back in the garden of Eden.  Adam and Eve had all this fruit to taste, to dry, to make into fruit rollups.  Yet this one forbidden fruit ruined everything.  I try not to be too hard on them, in a couple more chapters we get Cain slaying Able, and not long after the Tower of Babel.

But I am like Adam and Eve, despite the many, many good things G^d has provided me, I still want more or different.  And, I am not alone in this.

All we like sheep have gone astray.

If you don't believe in the fallen nature of man, you aren't paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment