Thursday, June 20, 2013

No hoarding allowed

In a previous post I talked about unusual terms, to us.  I was recently a bit surprised to see an email with a subject line about "Hoarding the FTE".

As I have explained previously, I have a problem with being greedy, so to have an email about hoarding alarmed me.

The administrative approach is emails here is a tiny bit annoying.  Almost every email has the same text:  "See attached."  I can understand not wanting to compose a long, complex explanation in an email.  But often the attached is one or two lines.  But every reader must download the attached, and then click on it to open.  I wonder how many person-hours are lost.  But I digress.

So, now we learn another new term.  "Hoarding" refers to the visual barrier that surrounds a construction site.  Who knew?

Just recently they took the hoarding off the new engineering complex.  I was amazed at how much difference the hoarding had made.  Suddenly we have a major new section of campus available.  It gives me an alternative route to and from work, now that I don't have to walk all the way around that hoarding.

I think much of this present world is obscured by that hoarding tin.  One day it will be gone and we will see G^d's heaven and the earth as it really is.

That will be a truly glorious day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious how they "hoard" FTE's, assuming FTE means the same thing there it means here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not full-time equivalents, but Faculty of Technology and Engineering.

      Delete