Saturday, June 15, 2013

Knowledge vs Wisdom


One of my Ph.D. students sent me this quote:
"Knowledge is what you know, wisdom is the capacity to judge . Wisdom is knowing what to know, how much and what to do with it. Knowledge is obtained, wisdom is developed."
No doubt, “The Fear of the L^rd is the beginning of wisdom.”
Another friend sent me a short essay by James Stone who suggested that the very act of thinking could trick us into believing in ourselves rather than believing in G^d.  I see that a lot.  Physicians, attorneys, and professors often think we are “too smart” to believe in G^d.

Steve Baker, Cru staff with Global Aid Network, told of his college days, shortly after his older brother became  a Christian. His older brother asked him a good question, "Of all there is to know, what % do you think you know?"

The follow-up question was equally good.  "Most of what's going on within 50 yards of you, you don't understand."  When we think of photosynthesis, of microbes, of viri and bacteria, of other things, without even thinking of everything going on in our own body, we don't really know or understand much.

Somehow though we make an exception for G^d.  When G^d fails to fit into our preconceived mold, when we can't understand G^d's omnipresence, or G^d's Sovereignty, when we think, "I wouldn't do it that way, if I were G^d", we fail to recognize our ignorance and limitations.

And, like I said, we profs, docs, lawyers, are the worst!

The sad thing is that our education keeps us from true wisdom.

I Corinth 8:1 tells us, "Now concerning things sacrificed to idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies."

Hmm, that looks right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment