Sunday, June 16, 2013

The fruit of our labors, and the fig tree

I love fruit.  Brenda and I both eat a banana almost every day.  Bananas here, fortunately are pretty cheap, not a cheap as Costa Rica, but cheap.  They are not the cheapest fruit around though.

For weeks i have been eying the lemon trees right outside one of my classrooms.  The trees are loaded with fruit, that has been green, up until recently.
 We recently helped some friends move their household.  As we were working, we noticed the lovely fruited trees at the rear of the home.  Our friend Bob, plucked one which we shared.  It was delicious.

Because they were moving, we asked about having some fruit.  "Sure, help yourself!" they said.
And we did.  I just wish we had gotten a little more.    We got a hand full of tangerines (called naartjies) and several lemons.  I have been fighting greed, so I cut us short, just a bit too short.  That was some good fruit.
Oh well, I still have those trees outside the classroom.  I have already constructed a little tool to reach the fruit far up in the trees, since the fruit in reach was picked already, even though green.

G^d is good, who give us fruit.  G^d is Great who gives us spiritual fruit.  We are to produce fruit.  Remember that fig tree Jesus cursed?  Why, because it had no fruit...even though it was NOT the time for fruit.  The visual illustration for us cost that tree its life.

Let's learn the lesson of the fig tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment