Saturday, June 1, 2013

African Autos Around

People here tend to like nice cars.  In our humble parking lot of University Lecturers, there are some nice rides!  Mercedes are common.


Consequently, there is a thriving car wash business all along the roads.  They will wash your car and vacuum the inside for about $6.   They do a nice job too.

I mentioned in an earlier post that we bought a 99 Toyota Gaia.  That's the second newest car that we own!    So far it has worked out quite well.  It can haul a bunch of students home from church or to our Nav Bible study.  It served us well on our trip to Kasane back in early March.

Not sure why nice cars are so desirable.  People who are business minded, only want to steal nice cars.  If a nice car gets scratched, it is terrible.  If our Toyota gets scratched, we might not ever know.

Some of our friends wrecked their Suburu when they hit a Kudu.  Their car has been in the shop for over 3 months!  They say it is hard to find Suburu parts. I hope that's not true for 99 Toyotas!

I think cars are mostly a pain.  I like to be able to go places, but beyond that there are repairs, insurance, maintenance, parking passes, and other stuff.  At UA I pay a boat-load on the off chance I will find an empty space I can use.  Here at UB, it's a lot more reasonable and there are more parking spaces.  I think I paid $4 for this fall term (Jan>May is Fall here.  Freaky eh?).  Even so, I have only driven to work once since I got the car.  I don't like cars or driving.

But enough about these details.  I just put a quote up on my email that is apt.  It is from Donald Miller, the Christian author and it goes like this,

“Moral #1: "If you work hard, stay focused, and never give up, you will eventually get what you want in life.
Moral #2: Sometimes the things we want most in life are the things that will kill us.” 



That's especially apropos for cars!

No comments:

Post a Comment