Friday, May 31, 2013

Junk Food Junkies

I enjoy lots of junk food.  I said earlier, that food is not important.  But, of course, I wasn't talking about peanuts, and chips and candy and ice cream of all types.  My Dad liked candy, so maybe I got it from him.

The Batswana make me look like a novice once again.  When it comes to junk food, these folks are champs.  On many street corners, and just outside the gates to UB, there are vendors selling mostly junk food.  They apparently buy candy, chips and stuff retail, then sell it piece by piece.  Here's what I mean.






I can't imagine this is a very lucrative business venture, but there are plenty of folks doing it.  The overhead is low.  Judging by the HIGH number of candy wrappers on the sidewalks near these stands, business is brisk.

No one thinks that junk food is good for us.  The sugar rots our teeth.  The extra calories are undesirable for us modern sedentary folk.  There is no redeeming virtues... except it tastes good.

Unfortunately this describes a great deal of what I do.  I do those things I ought not, need not, and even want not, to do.

Paul says it clearly and simply in Rom 7:19, "For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want."

Then just a few verses later (vs 24), he laments, "Wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?"

Fortunately we ALL have a good answer to that dilemma.  For Rom  7:25 solves it saying, " Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin."

Thanks indeed!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment