Friday, May 10, 2013

A Thorny Subject

Most of you have read or lived the story about how everything in Texas will either bite you or stick you.  Well, we ain't in TX, but I can assure you that there are a lot of thorns in Botswana.

Yesterday when I ran across the street I noticed what sounded like something stuck in my shoe.  I forgot about it by the time I got home from the run, but remembered this AM when i was getting ready to run again.  Here is what I saw:

These thorns are trickier than you might think.  You pick them up on your shoes, then when you walk into the flat, the carpet snags them.  This leaves little stickers in the carpet ready to ambush your bare foot when you get within 3 feet of one.  Here's what they look like:







This is collection from about 8 days of running, not to mention the ones that I rubbed off in the course of running.  I pick up these hitchhikers whilst doing a good, healthy activity.

In the same way, I pick up other more dangerous hitchhikers as I go through life.  I pick up bad habits, bad thoughts, bad attitudes, bad stuff.  If removed quickly, the thorns, and bad thoughts, don't do too much harm.  However, if I left the thorns in my shoes, and kept running, I figure these could work out deeper and deeper, eventually reaching my foot.

So, I must be diligent to remove the thorns, and the bad aspects, immediately.  Sometimes I am unaware of these habits, as i was unaware of the thorns.  Just another reason to be in community with other Believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment