Friday, May 17, 2013

Mother Reads to Child- Not any more!


For the last month, I have admired from afar this statue on the UB Campus.




I assumed it was a tribute to mothers faithfully instilling a love of reading in their pre-school child.  Today I got to see the statue up close, and was I surprised!

Not sure what the artist intended, but the message has changed.  Books have been replaced with personal lap-top computers.  Now in many ways this statue is prescient (look it up).  Many times in Sunday School and Church I look over to see a friend with their Bible on their Ipad, Kindle, Nook, or whatever.  Even as primitive as I am, I have, on occasion read a bit on my wife's Kindle.  As an old fuddle-duddie, I don't really like reading a non-book text.  Books have weight, they have a convenience of their own.



On the other hand, whenever I need to find a particular Scripture, I go to the WWW.  Clearly G^d is not constrained in any way in how He chooses to act.  He can speak through a Kindle as well as He can through a rock.

So, it matters not how we read G^d's truth, the main issue is to read it often, and read it carefully.  Happy Bible reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment