Friday, May 3, 2013

Petrol Stations for those over 50 years Old

This won't mean much to you youngsters, under 50 years old.

Us old timers faintly recall a day when you pulled into a gas station, you were greeted by someone who asked how much and what octane of gasoline you wanted.  He then washed the windshield and asked to check the oil.  Plus you used to get steak knives or glasses or some premium for shopping there.

Seems unbelievable doesn't it?   You mean you didn't pump your OWN gas?

Well, those days are still alive... in Botswana.

You pull into the station and a young uniformed guy puts petrol in your auto.  He washes your window and I guess he's put air in your tires if you asked.  What a concept, service!  In fact, old timers will remember when gas stations were called.... wait for it... Service Stations!



Service seems to be a fading concept in our modern world.  Everyone wants to be served, but no one wants to serve.  Won't work, will it?

Mark 10:45 is a long time favorite verse (thanks Chuck Carson),  "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."

1 comment:

  1. I still have a ways to go to get to 50, but I remember going to a service station regularly when I was a kid. I believe it was the last one in town. My great aunt always went there. I remember thinking it was odd that not all gas stations were like this one. I was sad to see it close.

    ReplyDelete