Monday, June 24, 2013

End of the Term

Whewwwww.  Brenda and I have been celebrating.  The semester is drawing to a close and I taught my last undergrad class of the term on Tues afternoon.  My Tuesday class is the good one, the exercise physiology optional class with only 19 students.  They have been cooperative, interested, engaged.  They have been a joy to teach and I told them so on Wed.



In closing each class I make, more or less, the same comment.  I tell them that no one jumps off a bridge because they don't understand Measurement and Eval, or Exercise Physiology.  I tell them that there are much more important issues in life and I realize that.

I have been surprised in the University to discover that this view is NOT necessarily universal.  I suspect that many of my colleagues do believe that their particular area of study IS the only important thing in the world.  Well, everyone has a different perspective.

I told my students about one of the great questions in life, and all my classes put an emphasis on questions.  One of the great questions is, "What is good?"  The second maybe more important, but must necessarily come second, is "How does one become a good person?"

I told them that these two questions were important to answer, and they should devote some time to searching for the answers.  I recommended Christianity, and suggested they explore these issues.

How about you.  What is good?  How does one become a good person?

No comments:

Post a Comment